Crooked House Theatre Actors Forum
Crooked House Theatre Website
Forum Home Forum Home > Actors' Forum > Acting and General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this common on movie shoots for actors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ironpony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this common on movie shoots for actors?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:22pm
I got an acting part in a movie but one of the things I find very challenging as an actor, is I have no idea what the blocking will be until the actual shoot of the scene.

I don't get copies of the storyboards like the crew for example to know the blocking.  The scene that I found the most challenging was a scene where I had to seduce another character.  Me and the other actor rehearsed the scene.  Now during the rehearsal I thought that when I seduce her I should slowly walk up to her while saying all the seduction dialogue cause it felt like that is naturally what would happen.  It didn't really say in the script if the character was walking up to her, I just assumed he would when saying such lines.  Either that or he may sit and relax or something, while saying the lines, trying to draw him into her.

But I felt he would slowly walk up to her.

However, when the time came to shoot, me and the other actor who were rehearsing were called out to do the scene.  But on the set, the DP set a mark on the floor for me to walk up to, after I enter the room.    He said I have to hit the mark exactly and stay on it without moving cause if I move just an inch, the lighting on my face will be off, but if I stay on that inch, the lighting on my face is perfect.

However, I feel this really effected my performance, cause I had to do this whole seduction scene while standing absolutely still the whole time, and it was completely awkard to act out, as I felt who tries to seduce someone while standing completely still and not moving an inch.

I felt it was terrible as a result, and really wish that this was communicated to me beforehand so I could have prepared better or something.

But is this normal on movie shoots, and sometimes you just got to act without moving an inch, even if it would be natural for the character to move when saying such lines?

I've seen seduction scenes in movies before and the characters move around while trying to seduce the other person, so it is common practice for the actors to be able to move around, but what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply